Sunday, February 10

Review: Urban Decay Deluxe Eyeshadows in Fishnet and Ransom

I'll be doing a review of Urban Decay eyeshadows in Fishnet and Ransom today - going to put them both in one entry since they belong to the colour group of purple.

They're both from the Deluxe Eyeshadow range, with an awesome price tag of US$6 from their website and not available at local Sephora stores, apparently. The packaging is gorgeous - every colour has a different design and they're all very pop art-ish/graffiti.

The packaging - Fishnet (L) and Ransom (R).
Once you popped one open by pressing the little button in front, you'll see that the lid is fitted with a mirror. Personally, I don't use these mirrors since I do all my makeup in front of a large mirror but it's always a nice to have.

Inside - Fishnet (L) and Ransom (R).
Both eyeshadows are 2.5 grams. According to UD's website, they 'flash two different colours', don't contain glitter but have a luminous sheen. Fishnet is described as 'iridescent purple', while Ransom is described as 'vibrant purple'.

To me, Fishnet has a little bit of warm pink, while Ransom has more of a cool-blue tone.

Anyways, I was wondering if I should be doing swatches and decided to go ahead with them, since most people would like to see how the colours look on the skin. Pardon my images though - my camera isn't the best and the lighting in my room is horrendous. The husband loves tungsten lighting so our room is always basked in a warm, orange light which is kind of dim and don't make for fantastic photos. :( There's also no sunlight in the room because the two tiny windows in our room are blocked by our giant wardrobe. Eventually, we'll move to our own place so I hope to have more sunlight in our future room to allow better photos.

Swatches of Fishnet (L) and Ransom (R) without primer.
The quality of UD eyeshadows is amazing. They're not chalky, have a slightly creamy texture but aren't overly creamy (I hate cream eyeshadows since they all crease badly on me), and have great colour payoff. Two swipes got me this shade.

Other shades of purple that I have similar to the pink-ish tone of Fishnet are: Rosette from Stila In the Garden Palette, and Anna Sui Ombre A Paupieres (201).

Warm purples - Rosette (L), Fishnet (C) and Ombre A Paupieres (R).
They look more similar in their pans than the actual swatches.

Swatches - Rosette (L), Fishnet (C) and Ombre A Paupieres (R) without primer.
Stila Rosette is more of a metallic pink violet but has lower colour payoff, while Anna Sui Ombre A Paupieres is just a disappointing chalky soft purple, that has poor colour payoff. Without a doubt, Fishnet is the clear winner out of these 3 warm purples.

As for the cooler Ransom, I will compare it to L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Purple Obsession, but that's stretching it a little since Purple Obsession looks nothing like Ransom in the pan.

Cool purples - Ransom (L) and Purple Obsession (R).
Swatches - Ransom (L) and Purple Obsession (R).
They look nothing like each other swatched either. Ransom, though cool is warmer than Purple Obsession. Purple Obsession is more of a deep purple that has blue and pink flecks, and has a pearly finish. I love Purple Obsession as well but it's for a darker, more dramatic look.

So I wore both the UD eyeshadows to see how long they last, starting with Fishnet.


This is my look - primed lids with Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original, Fishnet all over (no base for better results), MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Engraved and Dejavu Fiberwig Paint-On False Lashes Extra Long Mascara.

Below is 12 hours later...

Oh no, I can't close my eyes properly. Am I creeping you out yet?
It had slight fading, no creasing and the mess you see was from a slight transfer from the eyeliner. Almost all eyeliners transfer for me since I have monolids/hidden crease. :(

Here's the look for Ransom!


Again, lids primed with UDPP, Ransom all over, UD 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Empire and finished off with Maybelline Lashionista Mascara. Boo, you can see Empire almost immediately transferred to crease even though I let it set.

12 hours later...


Again, very slight fading. Weird that the eyeliner didn't seem to have made as much of a mess as I thought it would - seems like it only had the transfer from the application in the morning. Huh.

Overall, I love both UD eyeshadows for their superior quality and for the price I paid, they're definitely worth every cent! In fact, the sale price I paid is even cheaper than the L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows! You don't need much product for a good colour payoff either, and the lasting power is amazing with slight fading and virtually no creasing at all.

If UD eyeshadows are priced reasonably in the local stores, I will definitely purchase every colour!

Wow, this has been one long pictures-laden post. I'll be going on a short getaway for the next few days but there will be more reviews when I am back! :)

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone!

No comments: