Friday, March 8

Review: Tangle Teezer

Received an announcement from Luxola that they carry the Tangle Teezer and I got inspired to write this.

Let me tell you the story of my Tangle Teezer, which I've had for a couple of years now.

I have really long hair (or had, since I've cut it to chest-length now), and even though people compliment me on how fine and naturally straight my hair is, I've always had problems with tangles, especially after a hair wash. It's almost impossible to work a normal wide-tooth comb through the tangles. Hence, I used to blow dry my hair freestyle, without using a comb but after my hair is dried, it's still tough to work a comb through the hair since it's now a dry, tangled mess and I suffered from a lot of breakages.

Enters Tangle Teezer, which I happened to chance upon in my early days of exploring ASOS. It was priced at GBP$10 and although it was so ridiculously expensive for a comb and odd in shape, I purchased it out of pure curiosity.

The description on the Tangle Teezer website reads:

Tangle Teezer Original professional detangling hairbrush is loved by hairdressers and used in professional hair salons. It's a super smooth operator that works the minute hair is lathered and rinsed. Glides through wet, vulnerable and colour treated hair with no pulling, tugging or yanking. Hair peace at last!

When it arrived, I was all like, "What is this bright pink, plasticky odd-shape bulky thingmajig?" I put it to the test and hallelujah! I was a die-hard Tangle Teezer convert for life.


The teeth are kind of sharp/pointed but pliable. The entire body is made up of plastic and even though the comb looks clunky, it's really quite light. There's a slight curve which enables you to hold it comfortably, but my hand is kind of small as the rest of me is, so I really have to stretch my fingers to grip it securely, and I do drop this ever so often. Heads up: dropping this will result in a thunderous clattering due to its material and size.

This comb works through any tangles. Unless your hair has mysteriously tied itself into dead knots. Otherwise, there are no knots this Houdini can't get out of. I was stumped the very first time I used it - how can combing my hair be so smooth and easy, and has no resistance from tangles? It magically glides down the length of my hair - any simple tangles untangle easily along the way. If it meets slightly more knotted tangles, you can feel a very slight tug but it doesn't hurt, and those pesky tangles will soon be gone too.

What I love most about this though, is how hair that has fallen out is so easily removed from the teeth of the comb. In the first place, there shouldn't be as many hair on your Tangle Teezer as on your usual comb since the breakage of hair is reduced drastically but whatever hair remains on the Tangle Teezer, just face the teeth downwards and give it a few hard shakes. Most of the hair will gradually float to the ground. Whatever strands remain, just use your fingers to pick them off - the teeth are flexible anyway. It's completely unlike those round brushes with rubber bristles where your hair is most likely wound tight around the teeth and it takes ages to de-hair those brushes!

Another thing to love about the Tangle Teezer? It is mad awesome when you comb your hair because those teeth are like little angels' feet pattering on your scalp. It is a gorgeous scalp massage at the same time. My husband who has really short hair that requires no form of grooming (except some wax) often asks for my Tangle Teezer to 'comb' his hair. He really only likes the feeling of the teeth massaging his scalp.

And one more thing to love (there're like a million things to love about it) about the Tangle Teezer is that it comes in awesome shades. When I first purchased it, it was only available in Bubblegum Pink. Now, it also comes in Cosmic Black and Tangerine Scream on ASOS, and Disco Purple on Luxola. Plus! They've got a new range of products like the Compact Style which comes in completely different designs and a removable cover to protect the teeth, and a range of Aqua Splash Tangle Teezers for in-the-shower usage to draw products through your hair. One of the compact Tangle Teezers even features Shaun the Sheep! Adorable!

Price-wise, ASOS is selling it at GBP$10, which makes to about S$22 while Luxola is selling it at S$26.90. However, Luxola always has credit card discounts so you may actually get it cheaper than ASOS! Also, I'm sure delivery will be much quicker if you purchase it from Luxola.

Link to purchase from ASOS here and link to purchase from Luxola here.

So, I can't believe I wrote a really long entry about a comb. But this is Holy Grail item to me and if I am asked to wax lyrical about it, I will.

P.S. Just purchased Sigma's Synthetic Kabuki Kit 5 Brush Set from Luxola today since they have a 20% discount for Women's Day and I am so excited! If you haven't purchased yours, take advantage of the discount because it ends midnight!

No comments: