Sunday, July 25

Let's all enjoy a poem by Bryan, shall we?

I don't like to see star. I walk the star walk. I run the star run. I use my super run the star use super run.

Ah, the beauty of poetry. I have no idea what it means but it sounds abstract doesn't it?

Gah. When I read it, I didn't know how to react. He was asked to write about stars. Just a short journal entry about stars. & what the fuck is a 'super run'? Too much tv, I conclude. I made him rewrite the entire thing if you're wondering.

& the worst was when Nicholas & Bryan told me they have no inkling what months are. So I explained that January, February, March all the way to December are months, & 4 weeks make a month, & most months have 31 days. I was so exasperated explaining that because it's near impossible that an 8 year old & a 9 year old not know what months are!

I feel so grateful to have my brother. He's 12, & he's a bloody genius & all the teachers love him. A little bit of an overachiever though. Who in the world has such a close relationship with teachers? My brother does. He received an expensive shirt & a book from his previous teachers on his birthday this year. His previous Chinese teacher comes to my house every Friday to give him free Chinese tuition & she calls regularly to chat with him. His previous form teacher brought him & a handful of close friends to Pizza Hut often. & just yesterday, his current form teacher brought him & another 2 guys to Sakae Sushi for lunch. Bleargh!

He's reading works by Edgar Allan Poe & he finished all my Literature books like 'Lord of the Flies' & 'Animal Farm'. He's done with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde twice, & he's also reading 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James & 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte as well. Those are my sister's JC Lit books! He scares me sometimes.

He writes really amazingly for a 12 year old. I ought to put up one of those essays he has written. & he's always asking me Maths questions which stump me. I mean, honestly, I can't do those Maths questions he shows me! It's like long Mathematical puzzles & I'm really lousy at that & he always comes into my room after solving them & mutters something like, 'Dumb'.

He's such a know-it-all! ARGH! & I have to admit grudgingly he's not bad looking. So is that an overachiever or what?

Ummm, ok. I was supposed to talk about how grateful I am to have a smart brother. Yes yes. I'm grateful. He's hoping to be the valedictorian soon enough & I'm so proud of him. I am, I am!

No comments: