Thursday, February 28

Review: BeautyBlender

How do you apply liquid foundation? Fingers? Brushes? Sponge wedges?

Here's a revolutionary new way - the BeautyBlender!


It's so cute!
The BeautyBlender is an adorable pink teardrop-shaped sponge that is amazingly soft and bouncy.

Taken straight from the BeautyBlender website, here's the description for this little miracle worker:

Now you can look like a movie star without the pricey services of a major make up artist. Introducing Beautyblender, the ultimate make up sponge applicator. Invented by top Hollywood make up artist Rea Ann Silva, Beautyblender has been created to leave you with a professional finish and a flawless complexion. Silva knows that the key to a perfect face is simple: a perfect blend. So forget your fingers or sharp-edged triangular sponges, these application methods waste make up and can leave visible streaks.


Beautyblender’s patent-pending elliptical shape makes application foolproof by allowing you to access hard-to-reach areas with stunning ease. Its suede texture is sensual to the touch and its unique curves fit the contours of your face, leaving your make up dazzling and undetectable. Beautyblender is latex free, non-allergenic and odor free.


This is me using the BeautyBlender with my favourite Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation.


Steps to Using the BeautyBlender:
  1. Dot liquid foundation all over face. 
  2. Dampen the BeautyBlender by soaking it in water and squeezing out the excess water gently. I prefer to spray some Avene Thermal Spring Water on the sponge instead as I don't like the idea of tap water blending with the liquid foundation onto my skin.
  3. Using the round end of the BeautyBlender, bounce it all over face - this method stipples the liquid foundation onto face and helps to spread and blend flawlessly into skin.
  4. If necessary, use the pointy tip of the BeautyBlender for hard-to-reach areas like around the nose or eyes.
  5. Tadah! Flawless skin!
Liquid foundation applied.
As you can tell, the redness on my cheeks has been covered up nicely. My uneven skin tone has also been smoothed out with just one quick stippling with the BeautyBlender.

I'm going to go ahead and say this is by far the BEST way to apply liquid foundation. I've used the other ways of application before but had issues with each method.

Fingers - I hate getting the products all over my fingers and even though fingers (or skin) supposedly warm up products for better application, the liquid foundation never seems to blend well into my skin and instead, makes me feel like the foundation is just sitting atop my face.

Brushes - I have attempted to use Bubbi Dual Cover Brush and Bubbi HD Flawless Brush (it's no longer selling on the site so here's a link to Bubz demonstrating all her brushes). But as good as the quality of these brushes are, they just don't seem to work well for me. The Dual Cover Brush leaves streaks on my face while the HD Flawless Brush doesn't stipple comfortably because it's just so stiff. The surface area is tiny too so stippling takes ages to complete.

Sponge wedges - This was my method of liquid foundation application before BeautyBlender came along. However, the sponge wedges tend to soak up the product so I used a lot more foundation. Also, with the small triangular sponge wedges, I spread instead of stipple so the blending isn't as smooth. Lastly, the quality of these cheap off-the-shelf sponges is pretty poor and bits start coming off the wedges after a couple of applications.

The BeautyBlender, on the other hand, is amazing. The round surface area is large enough for quick stippling. It takes me half the time it usually does to apply liquid foundation. The sponge is also just so darn soft and it feels luxurious on your skin. PLUS! It's really fun to bounce the sponge all over your face.

After full makeup application.
Of course, there are always angry leprechauns at the end of every rainbow so here are a couple of cons of the BeautyBlender:

It is so darn expensive. It costs about S$29 for one BeautyBlender, and it's only supposed to last for 4-6 months. That's an ROI of S$4.85 - S$7.25 per month and you may not even be using it that much  if you don't use liquid foundation often.

Also, it is a pain to wash. I made a mistake the very first time I used it by not washing immediately after and only doing so when I got back at night. The liquid foundation had already been fully absorbed by the sponge and no matter how much I washed it, the stains remained. :(

But because of the amazing quality of the sponge and the finish of the liquid foundation on my skin, I would repurchase this when the time comes. I don't wish to go back to the alternative ways of liquid foundation application ever again.

So here's to HG (Holy Grail for those of you not in the know) status for the BeautyBlender! *throws confetti*

You can purchase the BeautyBlender here or here. If you wish to purchase the BeautyBlender Blender Cleanser, that's another S$29 or you could just use facial wash like I do.

Some random photos to follow...


The above is my eye makeup after 9 hours, at the end of the day. I used:

Eyeshadow Primer: TFSI Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer
Base Highlight: L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Hourglass Beige
Lid: Naked (from Urban Decay Naked Palette)
Contour: Buck (from UD Naked Palette)
Outer V: Hustle (from UD Naked Palette)
Middle: Half-Baked (from UD Naked Palette)
Eyeliner: Kiss Me Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner in Black 
Inner Eye: Holika Holika Jewel Light Waterproof Eyeliner in Pink Topaz
Lower Lashline: Chanel Stylo Yeox Waterproof Eyeliner in Espresso AND Make Up Store Microshadow in Spice
Mascara: Dejavu Fiberwig Paint-On False Lashes Extra Long Mascara

If you noticed, the black eyeliner has transferred just a wee bit to my undereye.


But the eyeliner generally held up well with no transfer to my crease, and barely any smudging in my inner eye! The flick stays on as well! Yay to Asian-produced eyeliners!


And still relatively fresh faced, albeit with a change of clothes. This was after having a steamboat party with friends in which we were seated around the table getting a facial steam from the boiling pot of soup. Also, the weather was typically warm. I did no touch-up, nor did I blot at all and after 9 hours, my makeup stayed pretty fresh. I'll give credit to BeautyBlender, Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation, the e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder which I used to set my makeup and lastly, the Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray!

Anyways, we are one day away from the weekend! Rejoice!

No comments: