Tuesday, May 14

BATTLE: Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin VS Too Faced Shadow Insurance in Candlelight

I'm finally getting round to doing reviews for the numerous eyeshadow primers I have and to kick things off, here's a face-off between Urban Decay and Too Faced, two brands with highly-raved eyeshadow primers. However, I'm going to be reviewing their shimmery primer instead of the original (because I've not taken photos for that hahaha).

Too Faced Shadow Insurance in Candlelight was the very first eyeshadow primer I purchased (off ASOS) for an awesome sale price of GBP$9.95 (approximately S$21 while Sephora is selling it for S$30). Following that, I picked up Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eyeshadow Primer as well but it was GBP$16.50 and I have no idea why I bought it when I could have gotten it cheaper locally. -__-

I have loved them but along the way, my makeup collection grew and I added e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer, NYX HD Eye Shadow Base and Etude House Proof 10 to my stash. But of course, I wanted to get my hands on Urban Decay's Primer Potion which has been much raved about on the world wide web.

I finally got my chance when my friend went back to the States for the holidays and he helped me purchase it off the Urban Decay's website and shipped the stuff to his place, which he then brought back to Singapore for me. I waited this long because I was a little hesitant about spending $33 at the local Sephora for a tube when I can't even go through all the eyeshadow primers I have at the moment. But as luck would have it, I managed to get TWO of these (one in Original, one in Sin) for just US$22, which makes out to US$11 each tube, which is about $19 cheaper than if I were to get a tube here. Hehe.


Both of these primers are in 11ml squeeze tubes even if the TFSI appears slimmer. I used to think it's super pricey for such a small tube but after much use, I'm hardly one-third into any of these! Gee, pretty soon, TFSI will have to be thrown out since it's been a while and pink eye is no fun (trust me, I've had it twice this year).

Packaging wise, Urban Decay's slightly fancier with a bulkier cap but what do I need that for? Both tubes are pretty easy to manage the amount of product you want - which is just a tiny little dot for an entire lid.

Swatches -


TFSI in Candelight: It has a wetter and more slippery texture which I actually like since it blends out easily over the eyelid and doesn't leave dry patches. The downside is there's a slight chemical smell to it which I'm not a fan of. It swatches a soft gold shimmer which isn't too overwhelming.

Urban Decay in Sin: This has a thicker, tackier texture which dries quickly so work your nimble fingers and blend fast! The shimmer is much more obvious - it even appears sort of as a metallic bronze and is definitely an intense base. There's no smell to this, but it makes my eye area seem dry. :(


The above shown with different lighting.

Left to right: No primer, TFSI in Candlight and UDPP in Sin.


As you can tell, without the primer, the vibrant colours look washed out and slightly chalky. On both the primers, the colours are brighter and more intense.

TSFI in Candlight on left eye, UDPP in Sin on right eye.
I decided to experiment on the longevity of eyeshadows on these primers by wearing one on each lid.


Put on some of the white eyeshadow from my NYX palette to neutralise the obvious difference in shimmer and layered on Urban Decay's Dashiki.


If you can tell, the colour on the left eyelid (TFSI in Candlelight) seems more vibrant and pigmented.

But can the same be said after hours at work?

Got home 12 hours later and here's the conclusion...

Ignore the shine please.

Now it seems to be the reverse - Dashiki seems to have stayed longer on my right lid instead while some of the blue on my left lid has faded a little. I guess that makes UDPP the winner here since it has better staying power (even if I'm still not a fan of its texture)!

I'm currently in the midst of doing reviews for the rest of my eyeshadow primers but it's been quite a task. I keep forgetting to take photos of certain things and have to go back and forth. Keeping a blog sure isn't easy!

---

Oh, look what else arrived!



What do you know, MORE MAKEUP! *cackles*

I am severely addicted. I also popped by Sephora yesterday and picked up the Urban Decay All-Nighter Spray in a travel-size (for my Europe trip in October - I can't do without this HG item now). And since there was a 20% discount for members, I just HAD to buy something and the item I really wanted (Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara) was out of stock so I bought the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder instead. -__- That was quite a splurge and I don't even need it since I'm currently using e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder and Skin79 All-Day Sun Powder and they haven't yet failed me. I swear, it's an obsession!

No comments: