Wednesday, July 10

Review: Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain - Honey Douce, Rendezvous and Sweetheart Valentine

I have flash obsessions. After my flash obsession with eyeliners and mascara, my current flash obsession is with lip products. And in the past 2 weeks, I've acquired 5 lip products, 3 of which came from the new Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain range.

This has been compared to the famous Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Balm. I haven't tried the latter, but I am blown away by Revlon's. If they're this good, then I don't see why I need to cough up the extra dough for the Chubby Sticks.

Retailing at just $18.90 and easily found in common drugstores like Watsons and Guardian, grab one now because there have been sales. I got two at a 20% discount (at $15.90 each) and grabbed Sweetheart Valentine today at just $14.90.


Weighing in at 2.7g, the Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain is akin to a fat crayon. Although packaged similarly to the Clinique Chubby Stick, Just Bitten has caps in colours corresponding to the shades instead of just generic silver caps. There's a silver twist end at the end that pushes out more of the product if required - there's no need for any sharpening.

From the website:

It’s a pampering balm fused with a lightweight lipstain in an adorable chubby crayon. Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain gives softer, smoother lips with a perfect flush of color that lasts hour after hour. The gel formula comes in 12 vibrant shades that match any look or mood.

Sweetheart Valentine, Honey Douce and Redezvous
Using Auto mode, under warm light.
Using Manual mode, in fluorescent setting.
I had the swatches taken with two different settings on the camera because the warm light in my room makes it difficult to capture true colours.

It applies so smoothly, with a slight sheen that is the balm. There's a menthol feeling when it's applied, and that doesn't bother me. I actually like it since it's fresh, clean, not overpoweringly sweet and leaves my lips feeling a little cool. There's no taste, however. The colours of the balm stains are pigmented and appear gorgeous as well.
  • Sweetheart Valentine - bright pink, can look a tad cool (purple-pink) under fluorescent lights. But warmer and more neon under natural light.
  • Honey Douce - natural, but slightly rosy, akin to having 'bitten' lips.
  • Rendezvous - warm orange, almost like a tangerine shade.
Bare lips - sorry image is a bit blur!
Sweetheart Valentine applied.
Honey Douce applied.
Rendezvous applied.
I love ALL the colours.

I was a little sceptical about Sweetheart Valentine because when I applied it on my lips, it appeared cool-toned and a bit purplish, and cool tones don't flatter my skin tone. However, the moment I stepped out of the harsh lights of the office and into natural light, I caught a second look in the mirror and it was a warmer and brighter pink, which is much more flattering for me.

Honey Douce is amazing - it looks so natural with just a flush of rosy pink. It's 'your lips but better', and I can see how it'll look amazing with smoky eyes.

Rendezvous' orange is gorgeous - I like it so much, I applied it two days in a row. The orange is beautiful and pigmented, yet isn't loud enough to scream 'nutcase'. It's a warm tangerine that just brightens up any outfit!

The product is extremely smooth and easy to apply. It's moisturising but not sticky. Compared to my previous favourite Revlon Colourburst Lip Butter, I would say this range is even more moisturising and pigmented. (But that wouldn't stop me from using lip balm underneath all coloured lip products.) If the colour is too sheer for you, you can build it to be a stronger shade. The balm stays on for quite a while and once the balm fades, the colour remains as a stain. The colour stays on forever. Ok, not necessarily forever but it does stay on for a really long time.

Case in point - this is how Sweetheart Valentine looks like after about 4 hours of wear, which include drinking water etc.


It looked almost as good as freshly applied - the only difference was the balm had faded a bit so it had lost some sheen. But the colour was still fresh, no bleeding whatsoever and it definitely didn't creep into those fine lines on the lips.

After rubbing hard with a tissue paper, my lips were still stained a soft pink. Wow. I think you need makeup remover to thoroughly remove the stain.

Did Revlon say there are 12 colours?  I am officially in love - I have an impulse to throw out all my other lip products and just purchase the entire Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain range. GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL, LIKE POKEMON.

I need to shout...HG HG HG!

Rating: 9.5 / 10 (the twist cap I got for Sweetheart Valentine is a dud - it's loose and twists up on its own - minus 0.5 for that)

No comments: